Date:      Thu, 23 Dec 1999 12:59:07 -0500
From:      Tom Embt <tom@embt.com>
To:        "Michael P. Neuman" <neubyneu@twcny.rr.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: FreeBSD password problem.

> "Michael P. Neuman" wrote:
>
> Hello.  I'm running FreeBSD-3.3-RELEASE with the latest release of
> Samba.  I have a Windows NT 4.0 Workstation on my Network and want it
> to join the samba domain.  The samba docs say to add a user to the
> unix password database called workstation_name$.  The problem is
> FreeBSD doesn't accept the $ at the end of the user name.  How can I
> go about fixing this problem so that I can add the user
> wordstation_name$ .  Any help would be appreciated.  thanks.

AFAIK, FreeBSD usernames are currently limited to 16 characters, and may be
comprised of only lower case letters and/or digits.

_If_ Samba can handle a trailing $ in a username (which it ought to if
Windoze can do it), then you would probably want to try the "username map"
command in smb.conf.

man smb.conf
 and look for "username map" it gives examples