Date:      Thu, 18 Sep 1997 11:53:47 -0500 (EST)
From:      John Fieber <jfieber@indiana.edu>
To:        "Jordan K. Hubbard" <jkh@time.cdrom.com>
Cc:        nsj@ncsu.edu, dg@root.com, www@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: gallery link

On Thu, 18 Sep 1997, Jordan K. Hubbard wrote:

> Well, if someone adds themselves then the usual assumption is that
> they knew what they were doing.  The only thing I've tried to avoid is
> adding links on behalf of someone else (even when strongly urged
> to do so by some 3rd party who's "really sure they wouldn't mind,
> honest!") since it can lead to situations just like this one.  Otherwise,
> I think we can realistically do no more.

Ensuring that the person who submitted the entry is a legitimate
represntative of the entity involved is always a question, and
verification at more than a superficial level is not always a
trivial undertaking.  Beyond checking that the domain names
between the submitter and the entity in question matched, I never
spent a lot of time checking.

-john