Date:      Sat, 3 Nov 2001 20:44:33 -0700
From:      Scott Long <scott_long@btc.adaptec.com>
To:        Chris BeHanna <behanna@zbzoom.net>
Cc:        FreeBSD-Stable <stable@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: Crash Using ogle

>     I did a little digging, and it's still not immediately obvious to
> me why the crash occurs (this is only the first time I've looked at
> that code).  The "quick-and-dirty" (and probably wrong) solution may
> be to increase the value of ATA_DMA_ENTRIES, but I'm not sure what
> side effects that would have.  First thing is to find out how many are
> being requested right before the crash, which is relatively easy (if
> somewhat painful) to do.

It seems to be related to reading past 4GB on the disk.  Try playing a
DVD that is single layer (these are usually double sided) and it
*probably* won't crash.  Soren fixed this problem in -current a while
back, but it hasn't been MFC'd yet.  I think that some harrasment to
sos@ and asmodai@ is in order }:-)

Scott

P.S. Actually, the above test is more likely to succeed if you use a
program like vlc or xine that doesn't have the bastard behaviour of
cracking all the CSS keys up front.