Date:      Wed, 29 Sep 1999 20:40:46 -0400 (EDT)
From:      Bill Paul <wpaul@skynet.ctr.columbia.edu>
To:        jdp@polstra.com (John Polstra)
Cc:        current@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Is the wb driver broken?

Of all the gin joints in all the towns in all the world, John Polstra
had to walk into mine and say:

> I've run into a problem with the wb0 interface (Winbond) on a
> machine running -current from yesterday.  (That's before any of
> the segset_t changes went in.)  Unfortunately, the machine is
> cvsup-master.freebsd.org, which makes this pretty urgent.

I converted the wb driver to miibus ages ago. Your description makes
it sound like the problem just magically appeared yesterday. That's
a no-no, m'kay?

> When I try to ifconfig the device, I get "ifconfig: SIOCSIFMEDIA:
> Device not configured":
>
> cvsup-master# ifconfig wb0 inet 204.216.27.25  netmask 255.255.255.240
>  media 100baseTX mediaopt half-duplex
> ifconfig: SIOCSIFMEDIA: Device not configured

You don't need to explicitly specify mediaopt half-duplex anymore.
Specifying media 100baseTX without mediaopt full-duplex implies
half-duplex. Leave off the mediaopt half-duplex part and it will work.

-Bill