Date:      Sun, 26 Jan 1997 11:05:49 -0800 (PST)
From:      Richard Hodges <rh@alpine.net>
To:        freebsd-isp@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: cheap and good network cards

On Fri, 24 Jan 1997, Eric J. Schwertfeger wrote:

> On Fri, 24 Jan 1997, Victor Rotanov wrote:
>
> > What cheap and good 10mbit network cards exist that will work both under
> > freebsd and win95?
>
> My favorite 10mbit ISA card are the SMC's.  CompUSA has the EtherEZ for
> $100, so you should be able to find it for less.

You can get the SMC Elite Ultra (8216) cards from Onsale for
somewhere around $10 each.  Since it is an "auction", the price
varies, but the six-packs usually go around $60 or so.

They are selling 10bT cards now, but I got 84 of the 10b2 cards
a couple months ago for average $8 each.  They're ISA, but make
the NE2000 cards look like the crap they really are.

I recently FTP'd some 600 megs from a Pentium with PCI Ethernet
to another Pentium with the SMC (ISA), and got around 1.06 meg/sec.
CPU utilization on the PCI was ~20%, on the SMC ~30%.  Not bad.

If you want a good PCI card, get the Kingston KNE40.  It has the
DEC chipset and works beautifully on FreeBSD.  Costs around $50.

Now stop recommending NE2000 cards, PLEASE!

All the best,

-Richard

Richard Hodges    |    (702) 888-3000
Alpine Internet   |   400 Fairview Drive
rh@alpine.net     |   Carson City, NV 89701