Date:      Fri, 29 Dec 1995 11:57:55 -0800
From:      "Jordan K. Hubbard" <jkh@time.cdrom.com>
To:        "Amancio Hasty Jr." <hasty@rah.star-gate.com>
Cc:        sos@FreeBSD.org, msmith@atrad.adelaide.edu.au, jdli@linux.csie.nctu.edu.tw, freebsd-hackers@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: syscons driver

> We *should* assume that Joe out on the Net has  X capable HW .
> If we have problems with *supported* X hardware then we should addressed
> them and not say that we should not be emphasizing  X capable apps.

Sigh.

I find the image of two separate arguments at a party where too much
alcohol has been consumed coming to mind here.

Amancio is in one corner, arguing violently with a potted plant about
apps and how we should be writing them.  The plant, as far as can be
seen, is in complete agreement.

Everyone else is in another other corner arguing about relying on X
for critical-path applications, like the install.  There's no
unanimous agreement, but the general concensus seems to be "Oh, no, of
course not X for an install!  But SVGA / curses on the other hand!
[much waving of hands and shouting about methods]"

So, to score the evening's game so far, we have:

        Amancio vs Plant (apps):                        Win (by no contest)
        Everybody vs Everybody (installation widgets):  Draw (still arguing)

I hope this makes the last 3 days worth of debate clearer for those
who have just joined us.

                                                Jordan