Date:      Sat, 11 Nov 1995 00:59:56 -0600 (CST)
From:      Jay Kuri <jaykuri@interaccess.com>
To:        FreeBSD Questions <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Help! My SCSI-2 CD rom is timing out

I am using FreeBSD 2.0.5R and the aic scsi controller for an Adaptec
2825 SCSI card. (the aic6360.c is actually from FreeBSD-stable in place
of the one from 2.0.5R which seems to not recognize the 2825)  Other than
that, the system is stock 2.0.5R.  I am using an external SCSI-2 CDRom
drive (Mediavision RENO model).  When booting I see the following:

FreeBSD 2.0.5-RELEASE #0: Fri Nov 10 22:19:09  1995
[ misc deleted ]
aic0 at 0x140-0x15f irq 11 on isa
aic0 waiting for scsi devices to settle
(aic0:1:0): "MEDIAVIS RENO CD-ROMX2A 2.04" type 5 removable SCSI 2
cd0(aic0:1:0): CD-ROM
cd0(aic0:1:0): UNIT ATTENTION asc:28,0
cd0(aic0:1:0):  Not ready to ready transition, medium may have changed
cd present.[400000 x 2048 byte records]
npx0 on motherboard
npx0: INT 16 interface

  My SCSI-DELAY is set to 30 seconds.  However, what I am concerned about
is when I try to mount a CD (an ISO-9660) using the command:
mount_cd9660 /dev/cd0a /cd
the CD starts to whirr, and after a few seconds I get the following message:

cd0(aic0:1:0): timed out

this repeats a few times and then (after a good minute or so, cd rom
still whirring) I get:

cd0(aic0:1:0): MEDIUM ERROR asc:2,0 No seek complete

Only then am I returned to a shell prompt and the cd stop whirring.
I've checked and rechecked termination, scsi-bus speed, etc and still am
getting the same thing.  The hardware seems to be working, when I (uggh)
boot to DOS I can mount the CDROM (same disk) and read it fine.

I've been wrestling with the scsi subsystem in this beast for a week,
can anyone offer any suggestions?

Thanks in advance,

Jay K.