Date:      Wed, 15 Nov 1995 22:55:07 -0800 (PST)
From:      "Rodney W. Grimes" <rgrimes@GndRsh.aac.dev.com>
To:        jkh@time.cdrom.com (Jordan K. Hubbard)
Cc:        nate@rocky.sri.MT.net, msmith@atrad.adelaide.edu.au, current@FreeBSD.ORG, jhs@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: startslip

> > Yea, what is the setup of your /dev/cuaa1 device like, I suspect that as
> > soon as chat closes /dev/cuaa1 it hangs up the modem.  What is hupcl on
> > /dev/cuaa1 set to??
>
> It shouldn't matter?  The whole advantage of running chat under
> slattach is that it's supposed to be run on the fd that slattach
> already has open, so there's no question of the hangup-after-dial
> problem that would otherwise occur if you did the
> open-dial-close-slattach cycle.  I know, I've been there too with my
> little kermit dialer scripts.

It wouldn't be the first time this was broken.  I don't ever see it when
it is broken as my modem ignores the signals since I never want it to
hang up no matter what happens, even if I power my box off my modem stays
on line.

> Of course, if it turns out that you're right about this then slattach
> is deeply broken and has managed to nullify the whole advantage that
> was the point of adding the external dial agent capability to
> slattach!

It also may have to do with calling a shell script that calls chat that
is really a sub-shell with the device redirected onto standard in and
standard out.  The setup I use here is a very simple modem dial program
written by Marc Frajola that is run directly by slattach (ie, no shell
and no subshell in between).  I do know that when I helped someone local
setup his system using slattach and chat I had a real nightmore getting
it to work correctly until I turned off either hupcl or made his modem
ignore the signals, this was just after 2.0.5.