Date:      Wed, 29 Nov 2006 12:10:39 -0500
From:      John Baldwin <jhb@freebsd.org>
To:        freebsd-current@freebsd.org
Cc:        John Birrell <jb@what-creek.com>
Subject:   Re: KDTRACE is gone?

On Thursday 23 November 2006 16:58, John Birrell wrote:
> On Thu, Nov 23, 2006 at 10:36:59PM +0100, Stanislaw Halik wrote:
> > Why isn't importing it as a non-default option acceptable? I believe a
> > lot of users would be happy to include it in their custom kernels.
>
> Because in 5 years time when there is a production server that
> can't be rebooted, I want the admins to be able to run DTrace.
> The only way I can guarantee that is by making the ability to
> load DTrace kernel modules available to everyone.
>
> DTrace isn't intended as a toy.

Not having it in GENERIC doesn't mean that. :)  We have a lot of machines at
work and none of them run GENERIC, but a custom kernel config.  We would just
add the option to the kernel (just like now we statically compile in things
like COMPAT_LINUX which aren't in GENERIC).  I think this fear is perhaps a
little inflated relative to reality.

--
John Baldwin