Date:      Sun, 10 May 1998 17:33:21 +0000
From:      Jack Rusher <jar@rci.net>
To:        Amancio Hasty <hasty@rah.star-gate.com>
Cc:        advocacy@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Linux as a Mozilla total reference platform

Amancio Hasty wrote:

> To Netscape , Food for Thought:
>
> I don't see anyone bitching about NCI's choice of NetBSD (NC Clients) and
> FreeBSD (NC Server) nor Yahoo's choice of FreeBSD servers.
>
> So please elevate FreeBSD to the same status as Linux.

FreeBSD is swell, and we all know that, however, people actually know
what
Linux is (by people, I mean people without enough technical insight to
make
an informed choice).  So, when the CTO of big company wants to say,
"Yes, we
are making support for free Un*x a priority", he can either make a long
list
of platforms that most people have never heard of, or he can say the
magic
word that people have been reading in the trades-- Linux.  I can't blame
him
one bit for saying it the way he is, and ANY support for ANY free Un*x
is
support for us.  The more comfortable people get with free software,
Un*x
flavored OS's, etc, etc, the more likely they are going to be to give
FreeBSD a chance (he sang in a John Lennon voice).

Our job is to make the best product possible, and advocate its use to
those
in a position to understand why they would want it.  Our job is to
convince
software vendors to cross target powerful server tools to FreeBSD.  Our
job
is NOT to fight with our other free Un*x brethren over who has the
tightest
kernel.

-jack

--