Date:      Sat, 14 Jun 1997 10:57:38 -0700
From:      Edward Elhauge <ee@pythagoras.uncanny.net>
To:        freebsd-hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Right CVS recipe

OK I'm trying to get into the FreeBSD contributers groove on ports so I've
been switching over to getting a complete CVS tree and then extracting
RELENG_2_1_0 from it.

I seem to have the complete CVS tree extracted from:
	cvsup.freebsd.org
and I get the
	src-all
	src-eBones
	src-secure
	ports-all
collections.

The recipe I use to extract the RELENG_2_1_0 release is:
	cvs -q checkout -P -f -r RELENG_2_1_0 -N world

This works OK except that because of the -f flag I get a lot of deleted cruft
in the ./src tree. This flag is supposed to grab the latest version of a file
if it can't find one that matches the release tag.

Unfortunately when I try to get rid of that flag (-f) something very weird
happens. All the ./ports files are extracted and created but as I watch them
(in another window) they get deleted directory by directory just as soon as
they are created.

What I gather from this is that either:
	1) I'm doing something wrong in the cvs, checkout recipe.
or
	2) the ./ports directory is not tagged to match the RELENG_2_1_0
	release and I have to deal with it as a separate extract.

Would anyone that is knowledgeable about the CVS tree clarify this for me.
--
     Edward Elhauge       You will eat (you will eat), bye & bye (bye & bye)
      Uncanny Inc.        In that glorious land above the sky (way up high)