Date:      Mon, 15 Jul 2002 19:21:15 +0200
From:      Gabriel Ambuehl <gaml@buz.ch>
To:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   atacontrol based software only RAID

Hello,
after messing around with atacontrol software RAID a bit I became
quite confident that this can't be any worse than the el cheapo IDE
RAID (Highpoint, Promise, CMD) that we commonly use around here and
figured I could as well ditch the controllers and use the PCI slots
for something else. But now I stumbled about the last remaining
machine that doesn't have any RAID at all and am wondering how I go
about initializing the array.

Basically, I can create one with atacontrol create and then use dd to
copy over the data from the primary to the secondary disk but I don't
know what's going to happen if I do this in multi user (as taking down
a production webserver for ~40 minutes to do it in single user isn't
really a viable option). Will dd just copy over all the data from
drive 1 and any writes during that time (which surely will
happen, you gotta have access_log after all) will get mirrored to both
disk by atacontrol so that I end up with a perfectly synced pair of
disks once dd is over?

TIA & regards,
Gabriel