Date:      Thu, 11 Jul 2002 21:06:52 -0400
From:      Sergey Babkin <babkin@bellatlantic.net>
To:        bruno schwander <bruno@tinkerbox.org>
Cc:        Cyrille Lefevre <cyrille.lefevre@laposte.net>, hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: termios guru ?

bruno schwander wrote:

> thanks, I see the idea but cfmakeraw has some other effects... newlines
> output by the program are not translated, etc.

To get rid of the raw output effects, remove the line

        t->c_oflag &= ~OPOST;

> My main program now is the VMIN/VTIME stuff. The way irit tries to use is,
> is basically to be able to do async stdin reading, but this does not
> work. Whenever I try those settings, no input is ever read by the
> program. It fgetc() constantly returns -1.
>
> Any idea why ?
>
> bruno
>
> On Thu, 11 Jul 2002, Cyrille Lefevre wrote:
>
> > On Wed, Jul 10, 2002 at 09:13:18PM -0700, bruno schwander wrote:
> > > I making a port (not much really) of Irit
> > > (http://www.cs.technion.ac.il/~irit/) a modelling environment.
> > >
> > > I am having some problems with terminal handling, so all termios guru out
> > > there, please help ! :-)
> > >
> > > At stratup, irit does the following
> > >
> > > Termio.c_cc[VEOF] = 0;  /* MIN = 0, no minimal length to wait for. */
> > > Termio.c_cc[VEOL] = 1;  /* TIME - 1 tenth of a second as time o
> > >
> > > which seems wrong, I think it should be
> > >
> > > Termio.c_cc[VMIN] = 0;  /* MIN = 0, no minimal length to wait for. */
> > > Termio.c_cc[VTIME] = 1;  /* TIME - 1 tenth of a second as time o
> >
> > VMIN == VEOF and VTIME == VEOL.

On SysV but not guaranteed to be so on every system. In fact, if we
look in the FreeBSD /usr/include/sys/termios.h we can see:

#define VEOF        0   /* ICANON */
#define VEOL        1   /* ICANON */

#define VMIN        16  /* !ICANON */
#define VTIME       17  /* !ICANON */