Date:      Fri, 25 Jun 1999 16:05:05 +0200
From:      Sheldon Hearn <sheldonh@uunet.co.za>
To:        Keith Stevenson <k.stevenson@louisville.edu>
Cc:        freebsd-hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Inetd and wrapping.

On Fri, 25 Jun 1999 09:31:26 -0400, Keith Stevenson wrote:

> What is possible now that wasn't possible with tcpd from the ports
> collection?  Why incorporate libwrap (and make our inetd functionally
> different from everyone else's) instead of bringing tcpd into the base
> system?

If we _don't_ use tcpd, we save an exec on every call to every wrapped
service.

I know we're all worried about creeping featurisms, but think about
what we'll end up with here. We'll end up with an inetd that does _not_
wrap by default (discussed with jkh in private mail). So people wanting
to carry on using tcpd stubbornly will be more than welcome to do so.

We'll also end up with an inetd that _can_ wrap if it's told to (-w
and -ww). So we end up offering a better super-server than we had
before, with no backward compatibility problems, and no additional
incompatibilities with other systems (I can't find an inetd that uses
the -w flag for anything).

> I realize that I'm more than a bit late in raising these issues.

Not at all, so long as you don't manage to convince us that we've gone
in the wrong direction. ;-)

The additional option in inetd.conf is not something I want. However,
it's something someone has made a legitimate public argument for, to
which I can't come up with a decent rebuttal.

The ``nowrap'' option in inetd.conf will be something specific to
FreeBSD, I agree, but it's something you and me and the rest of the
sane universe can happily do without -- you won't have to edit your
inetd.conf just to cope with this FreeBSD-specific change.

Ciaol,
Sheldon (who is quickly learning that you can't please 'em all at all)