Date:      Fri, 14 Dec 2001 09:27:58 -0800 (PST)
From:      <nsayer@FreeBSD.org>
To:        freebsd-stable@freebsd.org
Cc:        mckusick@freebsd.org
Subject:   4.4-RELEASE corrupting filesystems?

One of my machines has been prone to having one of its filesystems curdle
for an unknown reason.

I have ever only experienced 3 filesystems get curdled on FreeBSD ever,
but all three were /usr filesystems on that one disk. The first time
was a while ago, but now it's happened twice in the last week.

This is (of course) a production machine, so I haven't had a lot of time
to do detective work. The symptom is that the machine would either panic
or hang, then on subsequent reboot it would report the superblock magic
number wrong. Attempting to use an alternate superblock would basically
result in the entire filesystem being thrown away.

*This* time I am not going to turn soft-updates on to see if that helps.
If anyone has any idea what is going on, I'd love to hear about it.
I suspect there's something odd about this partition's setup, but have
no idea what it might be. I don't necessarily even suspect softupdates,
but turning them off seems like it would be a move in the direction of
safety.