Date:      Fri, 18 Aug 1995 06:17:50 -0500
From:      rkw@dataplex.net (Richard Wackerbarth)
To:        eric_berchtold@bbs.fullcoll.edu (Eric Berchtold)
Cc:        questions@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: superuser

>heya
>        Ive been playing around with a copy of FreeBSD V2.0, and I tried
>logging on as SU.  When I was installing it, it never told me what the
>su password was.  Do you know what the default would be?  Or, what is
>the file that I would have to view to see what the password is.
>Any help would be greatly appreciated.

The super user is known as "root". From the console, you may log in using
that name. "Out of the box" there is no password set for root. You really
should change this at your first opportunity.

The "su" command is used to change to superuser after you are already
logged in as someone else.

The command for changing passwords is "passwd"
Or you can edit the password file with "vipw"

For more information, read the "man" pages for these commands.

----
Richard Wackerbarth
rkw@dataplex.net