Date:      Mon, 02 Oct 2000 12:43:04 -0700
From:      Jordan Hubbard <jkh@winston.osd.bsdi.com>
To:        Alfred Perlstein <bright@wintelcom.net>
Cc:        Mark Ovens <marko@FreeBSD.ORG>, Will Andrews <will@physics.purdue.edu>, advocacy@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: stolen script?

> I still think such blatant theft and mis-attribution should be
> frowned upon.

Don't you have any actual work to do? :-)

Seriously, if you're interested in doing something more substantive
than making facial expressions then go on a witch-hunt for files which
lack copyright notice and then either add such notice where it's
obvious what the author meant or contact the author in those cases
where it's not.  THAT would be an activity worthy of everyone's time
and attention and Rod Grimes used to do this for us before he got too
busy with his business.

> I think this be a good time to assign copyrights to all files
> missing one to FreeBSD Inc or The FreeBSD Project or BSDi even?

And now I think you've completely lost your mind.  Do you have any
idea how much flammage and distress was caused over in NetBSD land
when they attempted to do this with the NetBSD Foundation?  I can't
even estimate how many months of work were lost due to the energies
which were poured into arguing that issue instead of just writing
code.  Also, neither FreeBSD, Inc. or BSDi want the copyrights even if
we did want to go here.  The FreeBSD Foundation is supposed to handle
issues like this now and if the board of directors over there has any
sense, they'll run screaming from this one like it was an Ebola virus.

- Jordan