Date:      Mon, 28 Aug 2000 10:41:56 +0100
From:      "Koster, K.J." <K.J.Koster@kpn.com>
To:        'Steven Kehlet' <kehlet@techfuel.com>, 'Thomas Runge' <runge@rostock.zgdv.de>
Cc:        freebsd-java@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   RE: jdk build

> Using the Blackdown jdk I had this problem all the time: relative
> CLASSPATHs (like ".") would sometimes work, sometimes not.  It
> seemed using an absolute path instead always worked.  This was my
> primary reason for trying out the native FreeBSD jdk...
>
> Building it I had the same problem you describe (the InvokerGen
> error).  I found I could just cd into the directory where it errored
> out, and rerun the command manually (good ol' cut and paste), which
> worked.  Then I just began the build again and had no problem.

I found that it has to do with directory depth or mount points or symlinks
in the paths. I've observed that I could build the JDK in /tmp/foo, and not
build it in /home/kjkoster/foo. I did not pursue it at the time, and I have
moved to a new box and FreeBSD version since. Also, my mounting strategy has
changed. IIRC my /home would be symlinked to /usr/home, while now it is on a
separate partition.

Those of you suffering this error, are there any symlinks in the path of the
build directory? How is it mounted?

> So the answer here is to make sure you run the InvokerGen command,
> then this error doesn't happen :-).  Hope this helps anyone else.
> It might be worth putting a note about the InvokerGen error on the
> excellent
> http://web.inter.nl.net/users/kjkoster/java/content/howto.html
> page, if other people have hit this too.

I had it up there for a while, but I removed it because I seemed to be the
only one to suffer from this. I guess I was wrong. I will put it back.

> Btw, the native JDK kicks ass!!  Thanks to the ton of people
> involved.

Thanks for using it.

    Kees Jan

 TV is the worst  of both  worlds.  It's not  as
 good at words  as radio is because the pictures
 are a distraction  which demand  attention, and
 it's not as good as cinema because the pictures
 are not nearly as good.
                                 Douglas Adams