Date:      Thu, 18 Jan 2001 14:45:34 -0800
From:      Mike Smith <msmith@freebsd.org>
To:        Dennis <dennis@etinc.com>
Cc:        hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: stray irq 7

> > > What exactly is the hardware problem..and if you've identified it why is
> > > there no simple workaround after all this time (or is there)?
> >
> >You should read the i8259 datasheet, or the datasheet for any device
> >embedding a macrocell which emulates it, and once you read the section on
> >spurious interrupts all should become clear.
>
> Ok, so why is this only a problem in FreeBSD 4.x, or better yet, since its
> a well known problem, why arent they handled more eloquently?

I have no idea why it only happens to you with 4.x; the code that does
that has been in place since the 2.x days.  There's no real way to be
more "eloquent" about it; you could just ignore them like everyone else
does, but that doesn't alert you to misbehaving hardware, which is
sometimes desirable.

> Or did someone just decide it was a neat idea to spit information onto the
> screen about a condition that you cant do anything about? Previous versions
> of freebsd dont complain with the same hardware, nor do other OS's.

Actually, you can often do something about it.

What's more curious here is that you're saying that the same problem
doesn't manifest with other versions of FreeBSD.  Since the code in
question hasn't changed, I think you're looking at a symptom rather than
a cause.