Date:      Wed, 25 Apr 2001 07:28:39 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Nick Sayer <nsayer@quack.kfu.com>
To:        freebsd-stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   Dump very slow in 4.3-RELEASE?

Amanda has begun timing out one of my slower clients. I have tracked this
down and it appears to be the fact that generating the estimates takes
much, much longer now than it used to.

Amanda estimates the amount of space a backup will take by actually starting
the backup, waiting for the estimate line that follows the end of Pass II,
then killing the backup. The problem is that for an unknown reason, Pass II
is now taking an incredibly long time.

For example:

Filesystem   1K-blocks     Used    Avail Capacity iused   ifree  %iused  Mounted on
/dev/ad0s1e    1744767  1024514   580672    64%  167453  269025    38%   /usr
dial%df /usr
Filesystem   1K-blocks     Used    Avail Capacity  Mounted on
/dev/ad0s1e    1744767  1024514   580672    64%    /usr

Just getting the estimate line for a level 1 on this filesystem takes a
half hour (CPU is a K6-233, disk is using UDMA33).

Does this have something to do with the changes made to support hierarchical
nodump processing? I have some trees on this fs that in the past I have
done a chflags -R nodump on. Might this be causing dump some heartburn?