Date:      Fri, 18 Jul 1997 13:01:48 +0100
From:      Gareth McCaughan <gjm11@dpmms.cam.ac.uk>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   clueless CVS questions

[I'm not subscribed to freebsd-questions. If this is bad form, I hope
someone will tell me so, and I'll subscribe and ask again.]

I think either (1) I really don't understand how to use CVS,
or (2) I did something wrong in the past because I really didn't
understand how to use CVS, or (most likely) both. Can some kind
soul take pity on me?

So, I've just grabbed the current CVS repository using cvsup, and that
seems to have worked. I now want to update my sources (currently some
rather out-of-date version of 2.2) to the latest in the 2.2 branch.

    $ cd /usr
    $ export CVSROOT=/home/ncvs
    $ cvs -n update -r RELENG_2_2_2_RELEASE src
    cvs update: cannot open CVS/Entries for reading: No such file or directory
[...]
    cvs update: Updating src
    U src/Makefile
    ? src/contrib
    ? src/gnu
    ? src/etc
    ? src/games
    ? src/include
    ? src/lib
    ? src/libexec
    ? src/lkm
    ? src/release
    ? src/bin
    ? src/sbin
    ? src/share
    ? src/sys
    ? src/usr.bin
    ? src/usr.sbin
    ? src/tools

Hmm, that doesn't seem right. (Incidentally, if I remove the tag
specification I get the same behaviour but without the "cannot open"
messages.)

    $ ls -l src/CVS
    total 4
    -rw-r--r--  1 root  wheel  161 Feb 15 16:59 Entries
    -rw-r--r--  1 root  wheel   15 Feb 15 16:59 Repository
    -rw-r--r--  1 root  wheel   11 Feb 15 16:59 Root
    -rw-r--r--  1 root  wheel   12 Feb 15 16:59 Tag
    $ cat src/CVS/Entries
    /COPYRIGHT/1.1/Sun Sep 11 07:53:28 1994//TRELENG_2_2
    /Makefile/1.109.2.2/Fri Dec 20 08:20:06 1996//TRELENG_2_2
    /README/1.7/Wed Jan  1 14:06:29 1997//TRELENG_2_2

Unless I'm mistaken, there's meant to be a *lot* more than that there.

    $ cd /home/bofh; mkdir usr; cd usr
    $ cvs -t checkout -r RELENG_2_2_2_RELEASE src
     -> do_module (src, Updating, , )
     -> Create_Admin (., src, /home/ncvs/src, RELENG_2_2_2_RELEASE, )
        in /home/bofh/usr/src
     <- Create_Admin
    [grind grind wugga wugga... much disc activity but no further output]
    [many minutes later, after interrupting it:]
    $ ls -l src
    drwx------  2 bofh  wheel  512 Jul 18 12:29 CVS

Oh. Now I'm *really* confused. (Incidentally, if I omit the tag
specification then lots of things *do* happen, but pesumably that's
extracting -current...)

Question 0: Am I mistaken, or is there an awful lot of important
            information missing from /usr/src/CVS?

Question 1: How did I get it into that state? (I stupidly haven't kept
            logs of everything I've ever done on the machine, so the
            answer may well be "By some kind of idiocy known only to
            yourself"...)

Question 2: Is there anything I can do about it that's less painful
            than just wiping out /usr/src and extracting the whole lot?

Question 3: Given the, er, rather limited effect of the last thing
            I tried, how can I even "just wipe out /usr/src and
            extract the whole lot"?

Question 4: Am I being egregiously stupid?

--
Gareth McCaughan       Dept. of Pure Mathematics & Mathematical Statistics,
gjm11@dpmms.cam.ac.uk  Cambridge University, England.