Date:      Wed, 5 Dec 01 10:37:26 +1100
From:      Neal <neal@nelsonnet.org>
To:        <freebsd-stable@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: 4.4-STABLE crashes - suspects new ata-driver over wd-driver

>On Sat, Dec 01, 2001 at 02:45:18AM -0500, Chris BeHanna wrote:
>> On Fri, 30 Nov 2001, Morsal Roudbay wrote:
>>
>> > Yes.. the PSU is a 300W unit made by AOpen... the server works flawless as
>> > long as I dont use the IDE drives too heavily. It only crashes when I do
>> > heavy IO on the IDE drives... for isntance ports (/usr/ports is on a IDE
>> > drive) as I mentioned earlier.
>>
>>     Upgrade your power supply.  Under heavy loads, some power supplies
>> cannot maintain the correct voltage for the CPU.  300W is marginal for
>> many modern systems.
>>
>>     Antec is a very good brand.  A 400W unit will set you back about
>> $100 US, but could save you lots of headaches.
>
>I have now verified that it isnt my powersupply. It is perfectly healthy so
>it must be the ATA driver that crashes the computer.

>with "unsubscribe freebsd-stable" in the body of the message

I too get the same problems. When I run the portupgrade ports 'portsdb
-Uu' command I get a consistant reboot every time. The only way I've
managed to get it to work is to nice the command and run a lot of other
stuff in order to slow it down.

Obviously this command shouldn't be able to reboot the machine on it's
own, so there must be a deeper problem. Oh yeah, it's on an Abit KT7-Raid
with a 1GHz athlon, 300W PSU and more cooling than you can shake a stick
at. I'm running a fairly recent 4.4-Stable.