Date:      Tue, 2 Apr 2002 10:04:07 +0200
From:      Christophe =?ISO-8859-1?B?UHLpdm90YXV4?= <c.prevotaux@hexanet.fr>
To:        "Crist J. Clark" <cjc@FreeBSD.ORG>, freebsd-net@FreeBSD.ORG
Cc:        spe@selectbourse.net, julian@elischer.org
Subject:   Re: HUT Project

On Mon, 1 Apr 2002 17:35:56 -0800
"Crist J. Clark" <cjc@FreeBSD.ORG> wrote:

> On Mon, Apr 01, 2002 at 02:10:29PM -0800, Lars Eggert wrote:
> > Christophe Prevotaux wrote:
> > > I was wondering why the FreeBSD core team would think
> > > of including the vrrp daemon and loadd to the distribution or let
> > > the author of this commit his source for peer reviewing
> > > Maybe it need to be integrated into current and then backported
> > > to stable (has it is already stable so it would be forwardported ?
> > > to current and backported to stable ??:))
> >
> > Disclaimer: I'm not part of the core team (or even a comitter).
> >
> > I briefly looked at the package, and nothing in there seems to depend on
> > kernel mods. Having it be a port should be fine. Aside from that, the
> > thing would benefit from some documentation... :-)
>
> You've touched on my problem with it, that it _doesn't_ rely on kernel
> modifciations. It does some very hackish things with BPF devices and
> clobbering MAC addresses. If someone wants to do this The Right Way,
> some of it definately needs to live in the kernel.

I agree with this, so maybe it is a good way for him (the author)
to start redoing things the proper way , but I am sure he will need
guidance from you (FreeBSD people), I'll aks him if he is ok with this

Christophe Prevotaux        Email: c.prevotaux@hexanet.fr
HEXANET SARL                URL: http://www.hexanet.fr/
Z.A.C Les Charmilles        Tel: +33 (0)3 26 79 30 05
3 Allée Thierry Sabine      Direct: +33 (0)3 26 79 08 02
BP202                       Fax: +33 (0)3 26 79 30 06
51686 Reims Cedex 2
FRANCE                   HEXANET Network Operation Center