Date:      Sat, 20 May 95 15:13:32 +0200
From:      Igor Sviridov <sia@lot.cs.kiev.ua>
Subject:   Re: fsck & boot Q

In article <D8uADv.9Az@monolit.kiev.ua> "Rashid Karimov." <rashid@haven.ios.com> writes:

> 	Well, but the Q is :
> 	when it reboots in this way , it cleans all the filesystem
> 	except one , and then prompts for the default shell and asks
> 	sysadm to clean the FS manually.And if noone is available -
> 	the system just sits there forever.
> 	Is there any way to explicitly tell the system to run fsck -y
> 	_automatically on all FSes or at least on those it can't clean
>
> 	out ? And after everything is cool - just resume normal operation ?
> 	If it's impossible - can some1 point me to the code which is involved
> 	in that stage of boot process ?

Look in /etc/rc, it runs fsck -p, which parses /etc/fstab to find which
filesystems in which order to check/repair. Also, if filesystem is trashed
harder, than it may be without hardware/software failures, then fsck -p will
not repair it and ask for operator intervention.

I used to insert "fsck -y /dev/sd0..." in /etc/rc, if "fsck -p" didn't help;
though it seems to be undesirable (note, that you usually even don't have
place to store message about rough filesystem cleanup :-( )

--
Igor