Date:      Tue, 10 Dec 2002 13:48:04 +0300
From:      Lev Serebryakov <lev@serebryakov.spb.ru>
To:        freebsd-ports@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Reasons for USE_AUTOCONF/USE_AUTOMAKE usage?

Hello, freebsd-ports! How are you?

  Why so many ports declare, that they use autoconf/automake, and,
  via them, perl5?

  Many programs compiles fine with bundled `configure'. and
  `Makefile.in' files and could be compiled without any perl5! Is here
  reason to re-generate these files before build? As Far As I
  understand, auto* tools is not requirement for many programs, which
  ports declare, that it need auto* tools.

  perl5 is not present in 5.0 base system, but I could not imagine
  installation, which will not use any ports with USE_AUTO* variables
  defined, so perl5 will be installed from ports (5.8.0, I think) on
  virtually all 5.0 systems... Only some routers, DNS servers and so
  on will live without it, I think...

               Lev Serebryakov
| FIDONet: 2:5030/661.0                         |
| E-Mail:  lev@serebryakov.spb.ru               |
| Page:    http://lev.serebryakov.spb.ru/       |
| ICQ UIN: 3670018                              |
| Phone:   You know, if you have world nodelist |