Date:      Mon, 23 Nov 1998 22:57:57 +0000
From:      "-el topcat" <>
To:        Rick Hamell <hamellr@dsinw.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: wanted:  FreeBSD via FTP

> Date:          Sun, 22 Nov 1998 18:50:50 -0800 ()
> From:          Rick Hamell <hamellr@dsinw.com>
> To:            topcat@sk.sympatico.ca
> Cc:            freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
> Subject:       Re: wanted:  FreeBSD via FTP

> 	Ok, since you're running a NetBeui (ie, Microsoft hacked protocol)
> you're going to have a hard time installing to the Dos machine. If you
> can, run TCP/IP between the two machines.
> 	Second, download the FDIMAGE program and the boot disk image. You
> make a boot disk using those two programs, then you can simply configure
> the networking there (fairly simple compared to Win95 even,) then start
> the install. The Boot disk will automatically download the files it needs.
> 	Alternantly, run the TCP/IP connection between the two machines.
> Download the /bin /man and /doc directories, that should give you just
> about everything you need. From there, it's a simple exercise in telling
> the boot floppy to get the files locally instead of off the net.
> 	Probally the simplest way would be to take the DOS computer, slap
> the modem in it and run it that way. Afterwards, simply connect the Win95
> machine to it and let FreeBSD run as your gateway. It'll be more efficent,
> 100times more secure, and probally a lot easier to setup and keep working
> then your current connection.
>

> 						Rick

Hi Rick!  Thanks for your help so far.  However, I am
still having some difficulty.  My progress to date follows.
(I have spent the last 12 hours trying on my own with some
success!).  I downloaded the /docs /manpages and /bin for
version 2.2.7 and put them on my Win95 machine.
I completely rebuilt my DOS machine, making a small DOS partition
of 35 meg.  I left the remaining space unpartitioned.
Then I copied the freeBSD files to my DOS machine
in the c:\freebsd\bin c:\freebsd\doc and c:\freebin\manpages
directory structure.  I created my boot floppy with
no problems.  I am able to boot the DOS machine with it and making
the kernel changes it wants to do and then when
I save the changes and exit, my machine is then
locked up (hung) solid with the disk in Drive A!
Anyway, I proceeded  on, and just booted up without making any
changes to the kernel and I successfully installed from my DOS
partition. So far so good, even with all the problems up to this
point! But no windows!  What do I need to get?  I hear
about 3 items:

1. X-Server
2. X-windows
3. Window Manager

I am unsure of the next step.  Do I need to download
an entire directory????  If so that's not a problem,
I can do so and try my install again.  At least
I am learning, and given the hours I have spent
so far---I am determined!!!  I am very excited about
what you said I could do with security, gateways, etc.
Maybe a little over my head, but I am quite
good on Microsoft networking, with some TCP-IP experience.
I tried about 100 times to get my modem to dial
up and connect in the install process, but to no avail.
Guess I don't know the necessary commands to get
it to dial.  I also tried to connect to my win95
machine via ethernet, but couldn't make it work.
I am using a 3com Etherlink III 3c509 set at
0300 and irq 10. (I can change if so needed)

I set my win95 to 10.0.0.1 with 255.0.0.0 and my
freeBSD machine to 10.0.0.2 with 255.0.0.0 but
got real confused on domain names, nameservers (I
don't have one on my LAN!), and path.....
do I point the freeBSD machine to c:\freeBSD\bin on the win95
machine??

...anyway, if any of this rambling makes sense to you,
I would really appreciate your comments.  My dad
wishes he could help, but he says I'm doing pretty
good from what he can see.  (He's rather computer
illiterate).  If I have to stick with the DOS
partition install, that's okay, but I don't know
how to get the windows stuff up and running.
If I could get on the Internet using Netscape
or something with freeBSD that would be super.
That's really I all I want to do.  Get on the net
without using a Microsoft Operating System,
yet still be able to connect to my win95 machine
and share files back and forth.

oh, by the way...some personal info.
I am 16 (well almost!), and running this
on a DEC lpv+466d2 (a 486 dx2-66 with 16 meg).
the video card is onboard and is a S3 86C805.
15" svga monitor.  Modem is a Hayes Accura
external 28.8.  No fancy sound cards, or
game cards or anything like that.  I am
trying to get this installed without complicating
life.

I really look forward to hearing from you!
My excitement is not diminished!!!  My apologies
are in order if I seemed really frustrated in my
initial e-mail.  I really do appreciate your
response, and thanks again in advance.

Ivan Sutton
topcat@sk.sympatico.ca

Thought for the day:
    The only thing that hurts more than paying income tax
    is not having to pay income tax.

[end]