Date:      Thu, 16 Aug 2001 00:39:26 -0700
From:      Terry Lambert <tlambert2@mindspring.com>
To:        Kazutaka YOKOTA <yokota@zodiac.mech.utsunomiya-u.ac.jp>
Cc:        current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: psmresume() (was: Re: FreeBSD's aggressive keyboard probe/attach)

Kazutaka YOKOTA wrote:
> When the machine wakes up from the suspend mode by the APM (and ACPI?)
> BIOS, it is considered the BIOS's responsibility to restore the
> peripheral devices' state. And in fact most laptop machines are able
> to restore their internal pointing devices correctly. The only
> exceptions which I know of, to date, are some early models of Toshiba
> Librette and some models from Sony VAIO which has VersaPad.

I have a VAIO PCG-XG29; basically, I've just been shrugging
my shoulders, alt-consoling the thing, and then restarting
moused to make things happy, with a little hack to the sysmouse
driver so X doesn't freak out.  I didn't really complain, since
there are several things on my VAIO which don't work (though I
recently go my jog-dial working as a one dimensional, one
button mouse; I use it for a third button, when I don't want to
chord by forcing an Xevent.... 8-)).

> Some Sony VAIO models totally fail to restore VersaPad. So, it needs
> both flags to re-initialize the device. (This is documented in
> the man page for psm(4).)

I have to admit, I'm not running -current; I'm actually running
a fairly down-rev system, as these things go, at least on the
VAIO.

> >Even assuming it causes problems on some hardware (it appears
> >to be _required_ to handle undocking from a docking station
> >with an external mouse!), shouldn't this flag be inverted,
>
> Is it required for the internal mouse to be operational? Or, is it for
> the external mouse?  How the docking station or the external mouse
> (whether it is directly connected to the laptop or via the docking
> station) are handled is vender-dependent, I think.  Even if you need
> these flags for your laptop and docking station, it doesn't
> necessarily mean other vendors' laptop machines and docking stations
> need them too.

It's required (or rather, a hack like it is) for my PCGA-PSX1 "Mini
docking station" for the external mouse plugged into the mouse port
on the thing.  My hack doesn't fix the VersaPad.

> I don't know a way, whether vender dependent or standard, for OS to
> know if there are actually two mice connected behind the PS/2 mouse
> port, and to direct commands to internal and external mice separately.
> In short, when we send any command to the mouse port, you don't know
> if it is sent the internal mouse only, or it is also forwarded to the
> external mouse in addition to the internal mouse, or it is sent to the
> external mouse only.

There doesn't seem to be a problem using either on the VAIO,
FWIW: I can use them interchangeably.

> >instead?  I.e.: on by default, with the ability to force it
> >off if it caused trouble?
>
> I made these flags optional for few cases they are absolutely needed.
> I didn't made them default for the other systems, because I
> followed the wisdom: "When it's not broken, don't fix it" :-)
>
> If we have evidence that they are needed for many more machines
> these days, it's worthwhile to make them default.

I think I just have one of the problem systems, so I'm seeing
a lot of these issues.  The KVM issues are seperate on my
work boxes, not the laptop (no reason to be so perverse as to
run a laptop docking port connectors through a KVM!!!).

As usual, your post was informative, thanks!  Personally, I'm
one of those people who looks at the list archives, so I really
don't have a problem with the driver documentation... but if
you want, the code I've been working on lately just passed off
its acceptance testing today, so I could go through and put
some comments in the code and send it off to you, and you can
edit it and use it for a future commit.

So... (1) Would this be useful, and (2) if so, do you prefer
diffs against -current or -stable?  (all of my work systems are
-stable, but I could check out a -current work directory for
this specifically).

Thanks again,
-- Terry