Date:      Tue, 14 Nov 2000 20:43:54 -0800
From:      asami@freebsd.org (Satoshi - Ports Wraith - Asami)
To:        keith@freebsd.sinica.edu.tw
Cc:        ports@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: zh-tw-netscape-*

 * From: Jing-Tang Keith Jang <keith@bsdvm.jtjang.idv.tw>

 * On 11/14/00, Satoshi Asami wrote:
 * > This port depends on cle_base and linux-netscape, however the latter
 * > depends on linux_base and cle_base complains about conflicting with
 * > linux_base.
 *
 * Yes, but I don't know the correct solution.  Since cle_base is itself
 * a fully-functional /compat/linux, if the detection/complaint is removed,
 * it would overwrite the whole linux_base(if installed).  The zh-linux-ns
 * package also depends on both cle_base and linux_base, thus fails to
 * install unless -f is specified.  The only solution I can think of,
 * is to let cle_base depend on linux_base, and add (maybe hundreds of)
 * "@exec mv bin bin.orig" "@unexec mv bin.orig bin", but it's truly ugly.
 * Maybe these can be put in pkg-install.

I'm not saying the detection should be removed.  We just have to find
a way to either have them coexist, or not have ports depend on both of
them. :)

 * In fact, chinese/netscape-* should have the problem also, since they
 * depend on both chinese/XFree86-aoutlibs and x11/XFree86-aoutlibs, and
 * the former has the same detection/complaint as cle_base.

Hmm, I wonder why they don't show up in bento's errorlogs page...hmm,
it's because of the build error of libxpg4-ns.

  http://bento.FreeBSD.org/errorlogs/errorlogs/e.4.2000111323/libxpg4-ns-3.3.log

Anyway, what do you want to do?  One solution that comes to mind is to
split up the linux-netscape proper from the linux-netscape port, and
have the latter be the "meta" port that depends on both linux-netscape
proper and linux_base.  Then you can have a zh-l-n port, which depend
on linux-netscape proper and cle_base.  Or something like that.  That
way people will only get one of the linux libraries.

Satoshi