Date:      Wed, 7 Aug 2002 13:43:10 -0400 (EDT)
From:      Robert Watson <rwatson@FreeBSD.org>
To:        Julian Elischer <julian@elischer.org>
Cc:        julian@FreeBSD.org, jhb@FreeBSD.org, arch@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: Problem with credential for initproc

On Tue, 6 Aug 2002, Julian Elischer wrote:

> > X	Something needs to happen here so that the thread cred is updated
>
> yes, since in normal processes the thread cred is updated on each kernel
> entry, something extra needs to be done for threads that never go to
> user space. It's possible that a simple
> cred_update_thread(FIRST_THREAD_IN_PROC(td));  would be sufficient..

Adding the cred_update_thread() call to init_main.c following the
credential divorcing code appears to have the right effect: code in
start_init() now uses the correct credential prior to the userland process
launching, so the root file system is mounted using the right label, and
nfs sockets are created and labeled properly.  I'll merge the change to
the main tree.

I notice that cred_update_thread() currently grabs Giant -- is this
something that can go away at some point?  The proc lock is clearly
necessary, but my initial reading also suggests it should be
sufficient...?

robert@fledge.watson.org      Network Associates Laboratories