Date:      Thu, 5 Feb 1998 21:12:10 -0600
From:      Richard Wackerbarth <rkw@dataplex.net>
To:        Mike Smith <mike@smith.net.au>
Cc:        Mikael Karpberg <karpen@ocean.campus.luth.se>, hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: boot floppy banner

At 8:49 PM -0600 2/5/98, Mike Smith wrote:
>> Personally, I would like to see "/" purged of everything possible.
>> However, I would like to add a "/.rc" file to be used as a stub in
>> place of "/etc/rc". This would permit me to have a way to mount
>> "/etc" as a read-only file system and still maintain a writeable root
>> in a mfs.
>
>Why should you want /etc/rc writable?

I DON'T. I want it READ-ONLY. The files that traditionally
reside there and have to be modifiable can be moved and
referenced by symbolic link.

The problem is that "/" has to be writeable.

I want to be able to start up and mount "/etc" from
external media (CD, NFS, etc.) With the present structure,
I end up with hidden files and a number of inconsistent
situations.

If "init" opens only a stub in the root, I can configure
that stub to mount "/etc" BEFORE we proceed to use it.

For the default case, "/.rc" can simply link to "/etc/rc".
However, I have my "hook" where I need it.

Richard Wackerbarth