Date:      Tue, 7 Sep 2004 12:46:38 +0100
From:      "R. W." <list-freebsd-2004@morbius.sent.com>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   MTU Blackhole problem?

I'm using FreeBSD 5.21 with a dialup modem, and I'm having problem
uploading files and sending emails with attachments through the
Fastmail.fm mail service - the connections just time-out. Ordinary web
browsing and short text emails work normally with Fastmail.  File
uploads to other sites work and file uploads to Fastmail works from
Windows 98.

I'm guessing that this is a path MTU discovery blackhole, since if I set
sysctl  net.inet.tcp.sendspace=400  the problem goes away. (I presume
that net.inet.tcp.path_mtu_discovery: 1  means that path MTU discovery
is already turned-on by default.)

What the correct way to deal with this? Should I just play around with
net.inet.tcp.sendspace?