Date:      Sat, 19 Oct 1996 17:40:58 -0500
From:      "Jeffrey J. Mountin" <sysop@mixcom.com>
To:        David Clark <bigdave@ai2a.net>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Virtual Domains Setup

At 12:14 PM 3/19/97 -0500, David Clark wrote:

>We have not historically allowed virtual domains on our
>site. We run exclusively FreeBSD and love it! One of our
>customers gets a domain name and asks that we host it. For
>purely political reasons - we probably oughta do it!
>
>After some RTFM time, I did the following:
>
>	added dns forward ('A') line
>	added dns reverse ('PTR') line
>	added alias line to the /etc/sysconfig file

Uh?

>	rebooted
>
>When the system came back up the alias IP address seemed
>to be the only one that was active (the original IP
>address for the box had disappeared)
>
>What did I do wrong? (For the moment I removed the above mods!)

You should have the alias line in /etc/rc.local (typical place).

Hence you *did* change the address for the machine.

Not sure why you want inverse to work for a virtual.  Never heard of any
other place doing this.  We don't.

Jeff Mountin - System/Network Administrator
jeff@mixcom.net

MIX Communications
Serving the Internet since 1990