Date:      Sun, 25 Feb 2001 22:55:26 -0600
From:      seebs@plethora.net (Peter Seebach)
To:        freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: [hackers] Re: Setting memory allocators for library functions.

In message <15001.57313.163670.146752@trooper.velocet.net>, David Gilbert write
s:
>IIRC, Digital-UNIX or OSF-1 ... or whatever it's called now.  I seem
>to remember the first Alphas that arrived to a company I worked for
>had this set globally in the OS by default.  Due to the bloat of the
>OS and Motif and other such things, they required simply amazing
>amounts of swap just to run.

Well, to some extent, I have to wonder why all these pages are being
requested if they aren't being used...  Still, all we "really" need to do
is make sure that we flag the space as definitely for sure already taken
up; it doesn't need to be backed to swap unless it's been dirtied, because
untouched allocated memory is allowed to contain random garbage.  You don't
need to actually store all the pages right away - just make sure that you
have a place to put them, say, some swap space or something.

-s