Date:      Mon, 28 Jan 2002 23:04:20 -0000
From:      "Stuart Duckworth" <ITServices@cableinet.co.uk>
To:        freebsd-hardware@freebsd.org
Subject:   ide cdrom

I hope someone can help me.  I have been trying to find out how to
configure an old 486 box on which I have installed FreeBSD 4.2

I have searched the FAQs and FreeBSD Archives for an answer to
the problem and come up with nothing.

Last year Shaun Dwyer posted about a very similar problem but I
have not been able to trace him at any of the email addresses he's
posted from.  If you're there, Shaun, and you think you can help
me, please reply to this.  If anyone else can help, I'll be grateful.

Here's the story:

I am using an ABIT motherboard running an AMD DX4.  There is a
sIDE CDROM control card sitting in an ISA slot.  It uses IRQ 15
and I/O addresses 1E8 - 1EF.

When I installed FreeBSD I had to set the access to the CDROM
card at irq 15 etc. in the Sysinstall so that it could see
and use the cd to install from.  It worked.

The cdrom is set as master and is the only piece of hardware
attached to the card.

After installation I rebooted the machine and, as root, tried to
mount the cdrom with

# mount -t cd9660 -o ro  /dev/acd0c /cdrom

got the error:

cd9660: Device not configured.

I did dmesg and got:

ata0 at port 0x1f0-0x1f7,0x3f6 irq14 on isa0
unknown: <IDE CDROM DISABLED> can't assign resources.

I looked in /etc/fstab and found

/dev/acd0c /cdrom cd9660 ro, noauto 0  0

I recompiled the kernel including the lines:

device ata
device atapicd
device ata0 at isa? port IO_WD1 irq 14
device ata1 at isa? port IO_WD2 irq 15

It compiled and ran first time (with reservations about sendmail at
the moment!) but still it can not see the cdrom and there is no:

ata1 at port ... etc. in the dmesg output.

but I still have the other messages:

ata0 at port 0x1f0-0x1f7,0x3f6 irq14 on isa0
unknown: <IDE CDROM DISABLED> can't assign resources.

The device ata1 does not exist, apparently.

I am at a loss and trying everything I can to get an answer to this
problem.

Stuart Duckworth.