Date:      Wed, 10 Jan 1996 13:19:02 -0800
From:      "Justin T. Gibbs" <gibbs@freefall.freebsd.org>
To:        Javier Martin Rueda <jmrueda@diatel.upm.es>
Cc:        freebsd-scsi@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: The Adaptec 2842 no longer probes my DAT drive

>I've just received my FreeBSD 2.1 CD. I tried installing the system, but
>I had problems with the SCSI subsystem.
>
>Under FreeBSD 2.0, in the same computer, everything works fine. These are
>the messages output by the kernel while it is probing for devices under
>FreeBSD 2.0:

>As you can see, I'm using an Adaptec 2842 (VESA local bus), a hard disk,
>a CD-ROM reader, and a DAT tape drive (2 GB, no compression).
>
>This has been working mostly OK since I installed FreeBSD 2.0, when it
>was released.
>
>However, when I boot FreeBSD 2.1 with the GENERIC kernel, the system
>panics when it is probing for the DAT tape drive.

The problem is due to an overflow in the sync negotiation code of the
kernel driver (was using char and should have been using short).  If you
can upgrade to 2.1-STABLE, you should (there have been many bug fixes to
the aic7xxx driver since 2.1 including this one) otherwise, you can change
the code in the MSG_SDTR case of the driver to pass a short to its sync
rate checking function.

--
Justin T. Gibbs
  FreeBSD: Turning PCs into workstations