Date:      Fri, 15 Jun 2012 21:40:34 -0700
From:      Kevin Oberman <kob6558@gmail.com>
To:        freegih <freegih@gmail.com>
Cc:        freebsd-acpi@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: [CFT] acpi_ibm event handler

On Fri, Jun 15, 2012 at 6:30 PM, freegih <freegih@gmail.com> wrote:
> Thanks, it looks good, works on my X61, =C2=A0I also have SL500 , the len=
ovo tp.

> =C2=A0can somebody make acpi_ibm works on the Lenovo ThinkPads ?
>

> On 2012/06/16 01:58, Mitsuru IWASAKI wrote:
>>
>> Hi,
>>
>> I've noticed that brightness up/down keys on my Thinkpad X61 doesn't
>> work. =C2=A0Checking DSDT of X61, many changes were found comparing with
>> older Thinkpad (eg. X41). =C2=A0So I made the patches against acpi_ibm(4=
)
>> as a workaround so that devd(8) events are handled by event handler in
>> acpi_ibm(4).
>>
>> the patches at:
>> http://people.freebsd.org/~iwasaki/acpi/acpi_ibm-20120615.diff
>>
>> With the following sysctl setting, now brightness control is working :)
>>
>> sysctl dev.acpi_ibm.0.events=3D1
>> sysctl dev.acpi_ibm.0.handlerevents=3D'0x04 0x10 0x11'
>>
>> Thanks!

Lots of stiff has been moved from ACPI to the EC, so the changes are
pretty significant. The easiest is to add LEN0068 to the "list" of
ibm_ids in /usr/src/sys/dev/acpi_support/icpi_ibm.c:
static char    *ibm_ids[] =3D {"IBM0068","LEN0068", NULL};

That will get a few things like the ThinkLight and several other
things. It won't provide volume or brightness control, though. You can
fix volume by defining the keys XF86AudioLowerVolume and
XF86AudioRaiseVolume to execute the mixer command:
/usr/sbin/mixer vol -5:-5 and /usr/sbin/mixer vol +5:+5 This can be
done in most desktops.

Brightness can be adjusted using "acpi_call -p '\VBRC' -i n" (where n
is 0-15). acpi_call must be installed from ports. But this command
sets absolute brightness, so it can't raise or lower the brightness
unless you have the current value and I don't know how to get that.
This is the case on my T520.
--=20
R. Kevin Oberman, Network Engineer
E-mail: kob6558@gmail.com