Date:      Mon, 10 Jan 2022 13:41:07 -0800
From:      Brian Buhrow <buhrow@nfbcal.org>
To:        Roger Pau =?utf-8?B?TW9ubsOp?= <roger.pau@citrix.com>
Cc:        <freebsd-xen@freebsd.org>, buhrow@nfbcal.org
Subject:   Re: Missing MAC addresses for domu VM's

	hello Roger.  Thanks for the reply on this topic.  While you're correct that a user could
set a MAC address on multiple VM's so they clash with each other using this incremental
technique, it's already the case that with the current methodology on FreeBSD, all the the dom0
side interfaces for the VM's have a zero MAC address anyway, so if we're worried about dom0
side MAC address collisions, I don't think that's an issue.  As to whether a user  could
accidentally set a MAC address on a domu to match the MAC address on the dom0 and thereby cause
trouble, I think the solution there is to document how the backend code behaves and to warn
people not to increment that octet of the MAC address.  It's already the case that one can
accidentally duplicate MAC addresses between domU's and it's already documented that this is a
bad idea.  So, as someone who's familiar with how networks work, I don't see any down sides to
making this change and I do see a lot of upsides.

-thanks
-Brian