Date:      Fri, 01 Dec 2000 14:22:39 -0500
From:      Bob Johnson <bob@eng.ufl.edu>
To:        melon@orangenetwork.net
Cc:        freebsd-security@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re[2]: 137/udp

> Date: Fri, 01 Dec 2000 21:50:17 +0900
> From: Melon <melon@orangenetwork.net>
> Subject: Re[2]: 137/udp
>
> Hello,
>
> I'm not familiar with NetBIOS behavior, but I know 137/udp (source) ->
> 53/udp (destination) is used for name resolving.
>
> All of Windows and Windows NT clients here are not installed Microsoft
> network sharing service, but I have Samba server for these Windows
> clients as the file server.
>
> I expected any of 137/udp packets incoming from outside of my LAN  are
> illegal before.
>
> I wanted to know...
>
> * How 137/udp packet is sent for my network from Internet?
> * All of 137/udp packets are intended for portscan or explicit attack?

Port 137/udp packets are not necessarily hostile.

See http://www.robertgraham.com/pubs/firewall-seen.html#10
for a discussion of this.

> I have missed to tell this...
> When 137/udp was sent here (the PC I'm writing this e-mail; Windows 98 SE),
> I was running Napster just for uploading a file.
> I'm logging an IP address of all 6699/tcp connections for security
> reason. Since I was doing tail -f [logname_for_my_firewall], I found
> 6699/tcp and 137/udp were coming from the same IP address. I asked
> him/her "Did you do something for my computer?" using Napster, I
> expected he or she would ignore my stupid question if he/she really or
> explicitly attacked me. However, the person who were connecting from the
> IP address was replied me and not seemed cracker.

If you are connected to a Napster server, you will see a lot of
miscellaneous traffic as people search for song titles, etc.  This
is probably part of that.

> I have talked with so much entry-level pc users, so I asked him/her
> detailed PC related question. I can't believe he/she have attacked me.
>
> Now, I got problem. I expected *all* 137/udp from the outside are only
> intended
> for cracking. So I would like to know the 2 points listed above.
>
> - - Melon

-- Bob Johnson