Date:      Fri, 4 Mar 2005 12:33:40 +1030
From:      Greg 'groggy' Lehey <grog@FreeBSD.org>
To:        Brooks Davis <brooks@one-eyed-alien.net>
Cc:        FreeBSD Hackers <hackers@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: Setting maximum data size

--A47bNRIYjYQgpFVi

On Thursday,  3 March 2005 at 17:40:35 -0800, Brooks Davis wrote:
> On Fri, Mar 04, 2005 at 12:06:22PM +1030, Greg 'groggy' Lehey wrote:
>> I've spent the last hour trying to raise the maximum process data size
>> (ulimit -d).  /etc/login.conf says "unlimited", /boot/loader.conf has
>> nothing, and I can't find a sysctl that looks like it's doing
>> something nasty.  I've RTFMd and found nothing.  What am I missing?
>
> The FM seems faily unhelpful, but the answer is the tunable
> kern.maxdsiz.  I found it by finding MAXDSIZ in NOTES and the searching
> for it on Robert's FreeBSD Cross Refrence and finding the one .c file
> that used it:
>
> http://fxr.watson.org/fxr/ident?i=MAXDSIZ

Heh.  Yes, I recall doing something like that too.  In fact, I had
guessed at it based on the entries in /boot/defaults/loader.conf, but
it still took me 3 attempts to get it right.  Some values can be
specified like this:

  hw.physmem="1G"                # Limit physical memory. See loader(8)

That doesn't seem to work for MAXDSIZ.  I ended up setting it like
this:

  kern.maxdsiz="2147483648"               # Set the max data size

It would be nice to get somebody to update the FM.

Thanks for the reply.

Greg

--A47bNRIYjYQgpFVi

--A47bNRIYjYQgpFVi--