Date:      Fri, 22 Jan 2010 12:09:03 GMT
From:      Chris Stenton <chris@stenton.me.uk>
To:        freebsd-gnats-submit@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   i386/143082: Unable to install 8.0-RELEASE on Dell 2950 with perc 5i controller

>Number:         143082
>Category:       i386
>Synopsis:       Unable to install 8.0-RELEASE on Dell 2950 with perc 5i controller
>Confidential:   no
>Severity:       critical
Doing a standard install from 8.0-RELEASE CD. Get as far as having defined the slices with mount points and then pressing the finish key. The install process then comes back immediately and terminates with

Unable to find device node /dev/mfid0s1b

which is the swap slice.

Doing the exact same install on the same machine from a 7.2-RELEASE CD I had no problem.

>How-To-Repeat:

>Fix:
Had to install 7.2-RELEASE