Date:               Fri, 18 Aug 1995 08:30:51 +600 CDT
From:      "Larry Dolinar" <LARRYD@bldg1.croute.com>
To:        kallio@jyu.fi (Seppo Kallio)
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:         Re: ** How to add second SCSI disk ? **

Thus spake kallio@jyu.fi (Seppo Kallio) (Fri, 18 Aug 1995):

                             <stuff deleted>

|  2. Why 8 partitions? There is only 3 (I have 8 on sd0)

                           <more stuff deleted>

At least in the SunOS sphere (pretty BSD-oriented itself, and FreeBSD has
borrowed some features in other areas)..
   'a' is typically /,
   'b' is swap,
   'c' is defined as characteristics for the entire disk (and shouldn't be
       assigned),
   'g' and 'h' are usually /usr (or /usr/local) and /home respectively for a
       single-disk system.

'a' through 'h' yields 8 partitions.

'd' through 'f' can be used I suppose, but for historical reasons often
aren't, though Solaris differs (as do their device names).

hth,
larry