Date:      Mon, 27 Mar 1995 03:18:17 +0400
From:      "Andrey A. Chernov, Black Mage" <ache@astral.msk.su>
To:        bde@zeta.org.au, davidg@Root.COM
Cc:        current@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: shared library versioning

In message <199503261945.FAA29708@godzilla.zeta.org.au> Bruce Evans
    writes:

>>>The recent change to the msync() interface strictly requires incrementing
>>>the major number of libc.so.

>>   I don't agree. The library itself should remain unchanged. Things would be
>>different if I had added a new syscall...but that's not what happend - I just
>>added an additional argument, and libc doesn't know about how many arguments a
>>syscall has.

>Yes, this problem can't be solved in the library.  A new syscall is required.
>Old callers don't supply the additional arg.

AFAIK, no system pgms use msync(). Applications which use msync()
is broken in any case, even in old system due to msync() broken,
so they needs recompile. I don't see a reason for new syscall
because old one never works.

--
Andrey A. Chernov        : And I rest so composedly,  /Now, in my bed,
ache@astral.msk.su       : That any beholder  /Might fancy me dead -