Date:      Sat, 6 Dec 1997 02:05:17 -0500 (EST)
From:      "John S. Dyson" <toor@dyson.iquest.net>
To:        shawn@cpl.net (Shawn Ramsey)
Cc:        chuckr@glue.umd.edu, freebsd-current@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: 3.0 -release ?

Shawn Ramsey said:
> > > hmmmm...  skip BSDI.  they want to charge absurd amounts, so make them
> > > pay for their own ports..
> >
> > Isn't that kind of narrow-minded?  Exactly the kind most people accuse
> > many commercial companies of.  FreeBSD is free, to all comers.  Do you
> > remember where doscmd came from?
>
> Why should the FreeBSD people make the port collection work with other
> OS's? If thats not what some people were suggesting, forget this post.
> :) I see no problem with making them available for other OS's to use,
> but that is already the case isnt it?

<IMO>
I don't think that we should spend our limited resources on making sure
that ports work on other OSes.  Of course, if the people who are actually
doing the port work want to do so, that is fine.  I just think that we
all should stay focused on what we need to do for OUR OS.  If or whenever
we get exceptional cooperation from other OS vendors in return, then I can
imagine that we should consider helping them.
</IMO>

--
John
dyson@freebsd.org