Date:      Mon, 11 Nov 2002 09:16:19 +0100
From:      Poul-Henning Kamp <phk@critter.freebsd.dk>
To:        Kirk McKusick <mckusick@McKusick.COM>
Cc:        arch@FreeBSD.ORG, bostic@sleepycat.com (Keith Bostic)
Subject:   Re: Shared-memory version of <sys/queue.h> macros

In message <200211101732.gAAHWZ59035339@beastie.mckusick.com>, Kirk McKusick wr
ites:
>I am proposing to add a new version of the <sys/queue.h> macros that
>are designed to work in shared memory.

Sounds useful.

There is one thing about sys/queue I don't like:

	#define SLIST_HEAD(name, type)                                  \
	struct name {                                                   \
		struct type *slh_first; /* first element */             \
	}

In fact I positively hate this because a grep for
	"struct[ \t]*foobar"
fails to trigger on
	SLIST_HEAD(foobarhead, foobar);

I would really like to see that fixed.

As for various standards groups standarizing this or not, I would
say that it doesn't surprise me that they don't:  It would be useful
if they did.

By not standardizing it, they make sure that we have a mix of autoconf
crap and incompatible rotting versions all over the place, something
which is sure to generate more need for standardization work. :-(