Date:      08 Feb 2001 10:10:15 +0100
From:      Dag-Erling Smorgrav <des@ofug.org>
To:        Matthew Emmerton <matt@gsicomp.on.ca>
Cc:        Matthew Luckie <mjl@SDSC.EDU>, hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: syscall kernel modules on 3.0-release

Matthew Emmerton <matt@gsicomp.on.ca> writes:
> I've got a 3.2-R machine which I'm forced to maintain, and the only reason
> why it's not running 3.2-S or 4.2-S is because I can't take the stupid
> thing offline.  I've haggled with my boss for a 6 hour window and the
> answer is no, no, no.  I've even got a 3.2-S installation waiting in
> /usr/obj.

You don't need a six-hour window. Take a level 0 dump of the box,
restore it on a scratch box, upgrade the scratch box and test it. If
you can, write a script that does the entire upgrade. When you're sure
you've got it down pat, take the production box down for however long
you need to upgrade it (somewhere between half an hour and two hours
depending on disk speeds and how much tinkering is needed).

DES (been there, done that)
--
Dag-Erling Smorgrav - des@ofug.org