Date:      Mon, 4 Oct 1999 23:38:59 +0200
From:      "Ion Mihai Tetcu" <itetcu@go.ro>
To:        questions@freebsd.org
Cc:        "Michael Akers" <mwakers@home.com>
Subject:   FreeBSD-Server, Win98-Client

Hi everyone,

I am supposed to set up a little network with a FreeBSD on the
server and 5 win98 clients plus some Compaq laptops.
I ask you for any advice that you can give me, since I don`t have
much experience with FreeBSD on a net and especially a mixt one.

The machines are:

Server:
Case: Midi Tower Case CLIO-I M-200A, TUV, 230W, ATX
MB: Dual PII - ATX-P640D-A5, 440BX, 1 ISA, 5 PCI, 1 AGP,
Teckram
SCSI Adaptor: PCI Ultra Wide controler Teckram DC-390U/F
Net card: 3 COM Fast EtherLink XL PCI 10/100 Mb Base Tx
Processor: Intel PII 350 MHz, 512 L2 cache
Ram: 64 Mb DIMM, 168pins, SDRAM, EEPROM, 100 MHz
FDD: 33.5``, 1.44 Mb Samsung
HDD: 9.1 Gb Fujitsu MAB3091SP Ultra Wide SCSI-3
CD-ReWritable Drive: 4X/2X/6X Yamaha CRW4261t
Video Card: SVGA  Card SIS 6215, PCI, 2Mb, 64 bit
Monitor: SVGA color Goldstar 57m, 15``, 0.28, LR NI 1280X1024,
DD, MM
Keyboard: AT, US Layout, Win95 keys, 104 keys
Mouse: 3 buttons

Printers: HP DeskJet 1120C, HP 6L
Xerox5815

Clients:
Case: Midi Tower Case CLIO-I M-200A, TUV, 230W, ATX
MB: PII  ATX-P6B40-A4X, 440BX, 3 ISA, 4 PCI, 1 AGP, 4 Slots X
186, 100 Mhz, Teckram
Net card: 3 COM Fast EtherLink XL PCI 10/100 Mb Base Tx NIC
3C90B-Tx
Processor: Intel PII 350 MHz, 512 L2 cache
Ram: 32 Mb DIMM, 168pins, SDRAM, EEPROM, 100 MHz
FDD: 33.5``, 1.44 Mb Samsung
HDD: 4.3 Gb Western Digital Caviar AC-24300, 3.5``, Ultra-DMA
CD-ROM Drive: 32X Samsung CD-ROM SCR-3232
Video Card: SVGA  Card Trident AGP, 4Mb SGRAM
Monitor: SVGA color Goldstar 57m, 15``, 0.28, LR NI 1280X1024,
DD, MM
Keyboard: PS2 Samsung SEM-DC8L/W95, 104 KEYS, US Layout
Mouse: 3 buttons

Questions:
1. Is all the hardware supported ? Do i have to rebuild the kernel for
2 processors (and how) ?
2. Can you point me to some good (for a beginner) Samba
resources?
3. We will have a dial-up connection to the ISP, and I want the
server to be able to dial when someone on the win98 boxes want to
connect.
4. Depends on the user of the win98 boxes, the connection
will/won`t be done or it will be done between, let`s say 23h and 7 h .
5. The server will check the ISP for new mail every 2 h.
6. How can i record the IP addresses that the users acces from the
win98 boxes ? We want to see if he`s gest playing around on the
net or he is also doing some work.
7. Tell me about your favorite (free) HTML editor under FreeBSD.
Untill now I`ve worked with Netscape, HomeSite, HotMetalPro and
Notepad for the web design and i would like to swich under
FreeBSD for the web design work.

Merci for the answers, wish you the best,
Ionut

Ion Mihai Tetcu
itetcu@go.ro