Date:      Thu, 29 Mar 2012 22:07:01 +0200
From:      "O. Hartmann" <ohartman@zedat.fu-berlin.de>
To:        Eric van Gyzen <eric@vangyzen.net>
Cc:        Current FreeBSD <freebsd-current@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: Using TMPFS for /tmp and /var/run?

--------------enigD717AD7D324E3EC10C8FD7D5

Am 03/29/12 21:50, schrieb Eric van Gyzen:
> On 03/29/12 09:18, O. Hartmann wrote:
>> I was wondering if there are some objections using TMPFS for /tmp and
>> /var/run.
>=20
> For /tmp, what exactly do you mean?
>=20
> If you want to use tmpfs instead of md/mdmfs when tmpmfs=3D"YES" in
> rc.conf, I have no opinion.

Aren't MDMFS backed filesystems of static size? And haven't they to be
created first before they can be used? Using TMPFS seems toi be a more
convenient way to me - dynamical (?), using a fstab entry for convenience=
=2E

>=20
> However, if you always want to use tmpfs instead of stable storage,
> please do not.  Some people expect /tmp to be persistent.  This is why
> /etc/defaults/rc.conf has clear_tmp_enable=3D"NO".  Changing this would=

> break the POLA.
>=20
> Cheers,
>=20
> Eric

I have   set clear_tmp_enable=3D"YES". I treat /tmp as it is: temporary.
No one should change the default setting.

Well, SSDs become more and more popular, even for heavy duty servers.
Still facing the waer-off problemacy with NAND flash memory, I'd would
feel better have the main memory used by the volatile filesystems like
/var/run and /tmp which get rewritten quite often.