Date:      Mon, 14 Sep 2009 21:23:30 +0200 (CEST)
From:      sthaug@nethelp.no
To:        edwarddean3@gmail.com
Cc:        freebsd-net@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: bpf issues

> I hope this is the appropriate list.  I am having issues using BPFs to
> filter out traffic captures.  If I want to block a specific host by IP, the
> traffic is still recorded.  I tried tcpdump and get the same results.
>
> Am I missing something?

Does your igb2 interface use VLAN encapsulation? If it does, you won't
see it in the tcpdump output unless you use -e, but you still need to
specify it together with your IP based filters - or tcpdump will apply
the wrong (off by 4 bytes) offset.

E.g. "tcpdump -nt -r tcpdump.pcap vlan and host 10.100.66.31"