Date:      Thu, 16 Apr 1998 07:25:34 +1000 (EST)
From:      John Birrell <jb@cimlogic.com.au>
To:        apl@mail.cs.hut.fi (Antti-Pekka Liedes)
Cc:        hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: adding new syscalls, part two

Antti-Pekka Liedes wrote:
> I already read previous thread on adding syscalls, and I did everything as
> it said, ie. added my new syscall to syscalls.master and ran makesyscalls.
> Now, everything works considering the kernel, but I can't make a working
> libc.  I tried as was told in the previous syscalls thread, but when linking
> the shared libc, I get:
> ld: acl_establish_daemon.so: RRS text relocation at 0x207d6 for
> "SYS_acl_establish_daemon"
>
> Because of this(?), ld.so can't resolve SYS_acl_establish_daemon in libc.so,
> and thus can't link it either, and obviously nothing works when you can't
> link shared libc.

If you are going to play with new syscalls, it is wise to bump the minor
version number of libc so that you don't hose the existing programs
by replacing a good libc with a bad one. If you've already hosed your
system by doing this and you don't have a backup of the last good libc,
you can try deleting the bad library and creating a symlink to the last
avialable shared libc. This might not work if the library is too old.

--
John Birrell - jb@cimlogic.com.au; jb@freebsd.org http://www.cimlogic.com.au/
CIMlogic Pty Ltd, GPO Box 117A, Melbourne Vic 3001, Australia +61 418 353 137