Date:      Fri, 22 Sep 1995 00:23:11 -0400
From:      Coranth Gryphon <gryphon@healer.com>
To:        hackers@freebsd.org, peter@taronga.com
Subject:   Re: ports startup scripts

Date: Thu, 21 Sep 1995 20:39:56 -0500
To: hackers@freebsd.org
Newsgroups: taronga.freebsd.hackers
Sender: owner-hackers@freebsd.org

From: peter@taronga.com (Peter da Silva)
> J Wunsch  <j@uriah.heep.sax.de> wrote:
> >I will yet have to see a single SysV that handles all run-level
> >transitions correctly. :-)

> That's because they're trying to be fancy with them. If you make them
> monotonic and stick to that instead of having complex /etc/rcN scripts
> there's no problem.

> Just because System V got them wrong doesn't mean we have to.

Strongly seconded! :-)

> >8 run-levels are IMVVVHO far too much to handle all permutations of
> >them.  3 are better to handle (stop, single, multi).

> I would prefer four, and only four. Terry identified them pretty well:
>	0 (stop), 1 (single), 2 (multi), 3 (full/network)

I'd be happy with this. We can do the "/etc/rc.#/script" concept, with
each run level starting everything for the previous run level.

>  The System V levels are a good idea. NOT running rc1.d/K* on the
> way down is a bad one.

The concept is a good idea.

It's the implentation that we're arguing about - whether we do it their way,
or (since we are unique ANYWAY, and will remain so) doing it our way.

-coranth

Coranth Gryphon <gryphon@healer.com>      |  "Faith Manages."      |
                                          |        - Satai Delenn  |
Phone: 603-598-3440   Fax: 603-598-3430   +------------------------+
USMail: 11 Carver St, Nashua, NH  03060
Disclaimer: All these words are yours, except Europa...